Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Ungrateful Servant

The parable: Jesus told Peter a story about a king whose servant owed him much money. The king called this servant and asked him to pay the debt, but the servant could not. The king said, "Because you cannot pay the money you borrowed, I command that you, your wife, and your children be sold, and that all you own be taken away from you. In this way I can get back some of the money you borrowed."

The servant fell on his face before the king, crying, "0 King, have patience with me and I will pay every penny I owe!"

Because the king felt sorry for the man, he said, "I will forgive all the debt, and you need not try to pay it back."

When this servant left the king, he met a poor man who had borrowed only a few dollars from him. He asked the man to pay it back, but the man could not. The servant became so angry that he took the poor man by the throat and cried, "Pay back what you borrowed or I will throw you into prison!" The poor man fell to his knees and pleaded, "Have patience with me, and I will pay every penny I owe."

The king's servant would not listen. Because the poor man had no money, the king's servant threw him into prison.

Other servants of the king felt sad when they saw how unkindly this poor man had been treated, and they told the king.

The king was surprised. Quickly he sent for the unkind servant In anger the king told him, "O wicked man, I forgave all your debt because you could not pay. Should you not have been willing to forgive the small debt your poor neighbor owed even as I forgave you? Now you will go to prison until you pay all you ever owed."


The other day I was blog surfing, and I came across a most unusual blog. This blog was all about this persons problems and venting about the circumstances they have found themselves in. At first I found it kind of amusing. As I read on I thought to myself, who could possibly put all of this out there, for EVERYONE to read? I respect their honesty. I started to relate to some of their frustrations and could see a little of me in their blog. However, the parable above is in no way meant for them... it's for me.

After much self evaluating I see that I am/was that ungrAteful servant. I have been blessed with SO much by my Heavenly Father and I owe Him more than I can ever repay. And yet, I have been unforgiving and ungrateful. Each day is gift, and so is each and every choice we make. We are given an opportunity to grow and advance ourselves. I have been that ungrateful servant who has been forgiven of my debt and yet, I was unable to forgive, and found myself in the worst predicament.

I am slowly paying off my debt, but in the mean time, my eyes have been opened. I am grateful for all that I have. I have gratitude in my heart for a loving husband. Happy, healthy children. Parents that love unconditionally. Supportive siblings. Fantastic friends. And a compassionate Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

nivadivadiaries said...

Thank you, Girl! I love this post. I needed it today. Love ya! :o)

Tino Faamausili said...

LOL... Uhh... I was going thru some things... hahaha ;) I've toned it down a bit.. LOL.. God is great and loving. It took me sometime, but I'm starting to truly understand! :) Thanks for the insight & story!! :)