Monday, May 10, 2010

What's on my mind...

I've been debating whether or not to blog about something that has bothered me for a couple of weeks now. I don't want my blog to be negative, the purpose of my blog is a way for me to journal. But I have been so bothered by this subject that maybe, if anyone would like to share their opinions on this subject, I can get some perspective and insight from other women.


Someone(who will remain nameless) said they didn't like me because I'm prideful becauseI think I'm better than others because the way my kids are dressed.


Really?


Of ALL the things(and I'm sure there are tons) you can hate me for, you chose THAT as a reason?
First off, I don't think I'm better than others, I'm sorry if you got that impression from me. I'm the quiet type, that most of the time is too insecure to chit chat with someone I don't know too well. I know my shortcomings and sometime wish I was that girl with the gift of gab and was blessed with the ease of making friends. But I'm not. That doesn't mean I don't have friends, I do, and they are the few that know me and still love me :).
Secondly, the way my kids are dressed? I don't know about that. Its not like my kids are dressed in name brands 24/7. If you read my blog or know me, you know that I'm frugal! Yes my kids wear some name brands.. but I can guarantee you that I payed half price or less for it. I'm that gal that looks for sales, hates to pay full price and loves to shop the local thrift stores. Yup! I'm not one bit embarrassed to admit that. I've been shopping the DI even before I was married. My parents taught me the importance of hard work, and the value of a dollar. Wealth does not make you who you are and does not make you better than the next person. One thing I will say, is my kids are well dressed in the sense that I make sure when my kids go to a family function, church, or school they are dressed well and groomed. Yes, and that is where we are two different people. I don't think that not caring about your appearance is an absolute sign of humility or that the opposite is being prideful or vice versa. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and different upbringing. That is how I was raised. And if making sure my kids are presentable and are clean and groomed means that I am a prideful person, well so be it.


Do you think that's being prideful?

4 comments:

pwincessdi said...

I think you are absolutely right. Don't mind people that don't matter. Seriously there's nothing wrong with having pride in the way you dress your kids! Jealousy is all it is. You're a great mom, don't even sweat the small minded :) Keep doing you!

Tino Faamausili said...

I think that people are too quick to jump to stupid assumptions. I have been guilty of that too many times too. They just draw up the assumption that because you don't talk is you thinking that you're too good. Sucks that ppl do that, but it is what it is, and you can't do anything but do you, cuz who cares what they think?

My mom used to always stress the importance of looking your best. As a wife and mother, the responsibility rests squarely on your shoulders to make sure that people know that "Ok, these kids have a mother that loves them.", "Ok, this man has a wife that loves him."

I think a form of pride is to be slovenly & then judge people who make the effort to look nice and presentable. Don't get down about it. That's a huge compliment. You know your intentions and that should be enough (= Love ya

Kiki Fangupo said...

Verlynn!!! We are similar in so many ways!! I too am quiet- wish I was more of a social butterfly, but people think I am a snob because I don't jabber away. And it's funny because the people who think that I "think I'm better than them" for the way my kids dress... are now dressing their kids the same way (almost like it's a competition) go figure right?! Lame! Keep on doing what you're doing. Your kids are BEAUTIFUL and are so lucky to have a caring mother like YOU!

NONU6 said...

Thanks Anna! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. You're a great mother! So I'm not going to let it bother me anymore :) Good luck on Biggest Loser! I'm rooting for ya!

Tino, aren't our mother's so similar? Thanks for sharing you views on this. Whew! I'm so relieved that I others share my views! I was really starting to worry lol. Love ya!

Kiki, isn't that the truth! You are a wonderful person and mother! And yes.. I have noticed that trend. They are just too intimidated by your strength. Boo on them! :)