Sunday, June 27, 2010

Worst Mother EVER........

Today started as any other Sunday. Got the kids up, showered and ready for church. Didn't quite get my hair the way I wanted it. We were a bit rushed. Late for church. Enjoyed the lessons in church. It seems that Sundays are a bit hectic. Before church, hectic. During church, hectic. After church, you guessed it, hectic. But today, my world just about fell apart. After church we said our goodbyes to family and headed out the door. My husband, six children and I. We walk down the steps and started to make our way towards our car. I notice that there are five walking with me. I quickly scan my surroundings. Still, there are only five. I ask my husband.
"Where's Devon? Where is DEVON?"
He looks across the parking lot, my eyes follow, and there he was. He spots us and starts running our way. I start to yell out to him to stop........
BAM ......... He was hit by a truck. My heart stopped. Everything happened so fast. But that moment when he was hit slowed down. It felt like it played over and over in my head. I ran to him. Tears. I haven't stopped crying yet. I picked my little boy up. Tears streaming down his face. Crying. I gave him a quick look over. He was ok. A bit banged up on his face and shoulder. But he was breathing. Heart beating. All in one piece. Scared out of his wits. But he was ok.
Thankfully, the driver was not driving too fast, and he saw my little boy. Slammed on his breaks. It could have been worse. And that keeps filling my mind. It could have been WORSE
.
Too often, I am just so busy with everything else that I don't really pay attention to my kids. I could be doing something, and they ask me a question and I just brush them off with a simple nod, or yes. NOT really listening. Too often I'm so preoccupied with how hectic the day is going and all the noise that surrounds me, trying to block it out. That I don't realize my little boy is half way across the parking lot. Like today.
I feel like such a terrible mother. I did not do my job today. I dd not hold him close. I did not look after him like I am supposed to. I did not do that and he was hurt because of it. We got home. We talked about what happened. I cried even more. I think I cried enough for the two of us. Tears of regret. Then he pulls this out.

He says, "Mom, this is me. I have a happy face and a sad face."
I ask him, "How do you feel right now?"
He says, "Sad"
I ask, "Why?"
His response, "Because I got hit by a car, and I made you cry."
I held him in my arms and cried even more. I know, worst mother ever! I should be brave for him, but I can't. I don't know what I would do if anything were to ever happen to any of my kids. I can't even begin to comprehend how parents deal with such a loss. I know I couldn't handle it. I am not equipped with such bravery.
I am so thankful to the Lord that he was doing my job, when I wasn't. That he was looking out for my little boy. That the driver was looking out. Thankful that my little boy is alive. That I still have him here with me. I think I need him more than he needs me.

5 comments:

Kiki Fangupo said...

Verlynn, I am so glad that your son is alright! And you are definitely not even close to being the worst Mother ever. I lose track of my kids and I have only have 3. It is impossible to keep track of them at all times. Don't beat yourself up. You are wonderful!! Your kids know it and the Lord knows it!

Tino Faamausili said...

*HUGS*.. Ok, I just freaked Kala out, and he's calling Dwayne.. this weekend has been tough for the parents in our lives.

Love you so much. Glad to know that everything is ok. There are so many angels surrounding your family. We're keepin' yall in our prayers and definitely sending in a prayer of thanks for our endless blessings from the Lord.

You're an AMAZING Mom. I'll never stop telling you that, cuz its so true. So thankful that He is always so mindful of us.

Love you Devon & Mommy & rest of the keikiz!!!

T*Family said...

Awwww Verlynn..you are no where close to being a bad mother. Totally opposite from that. Hope you get to feeling better. Soo happy your lil baby is OK. Alofa's to you gurl!!!

NONU6 said...

Thanks Kiki. It's one of those moments of regret that has me beating myself up. Sure wish I had some super hero powers that Sunday :)

Tino. Poor Kala. D told me he talked to him. Thanks for checking in on us. See what a mess I've got your nieces and nephews in?? lol. Thank you for the prayers. I've got myself somewhat back together :) Love you and Kala.

Hi Leah! My kids think I'm crazy lol but that's ok. I'm not letting any of them out of my sight :) Thanks.

fantastic said...

now i know what happened..poor thing. i'm happy that he wasn't hurt! don't be so hard on yourself--you have 6 beautiful children..that's amazing!