"May I share with you a formula that in my judgment will help you and help me to journey well through mortality... First, fill your mind with truth; second, fill your life with service; and third, fill your heart with love."
--Thomas S. Monson
This quote from one of Pre. Monson's many talks really hit home with me. In the past month I have felt unhappy. Dissatisfied. Contentious. I have always heard that saying to find happiness you need to forget one's self and serve others. Or "Happiness is never stopping to think if you are."
I have to admit that I have not been the easiest person to live with. My poor family has had to put up with my grouchiness and attitude. This past Saturday night was no different. I was upset, can't remember what about. So I decided that I was going to stay up late and NOT go to church. I sat at my sewing table, trying my hardest to talk myself into not going. 7 am rolled around, I was still awake. I couldn't do it. I knew that if I didn't get up and get ready for church, my family wouldn't go. And the adversary would have won.
So, I dragged my exhausted self away from that table and began to get things ready for church. Staying up was my own punishment lol.
Church was EXACTLY what I needed that day. The lesson of Job and the faith he had regardless of the trials he had to overcome. He lost everything, even his children, and yet he did not curse God. He did not lose faith. And here I was, with trials on a much lesser scale, being difficult. Pouty. Ungrateful. Why? Because I chose to be unhappy. Thankfully I have moved past that. And I see that I was making myself unhappy. Ugh! Sometimes I dislike myself lol.
On a happier note, I was called to be the Activity Day leader in my ward. YaY! I love working with these girls. There are 15 total. They were all in my class a couple of years ago and I am so excited to work with them again.
I am also one of the team mom's for my boy's football team, and am an official member of the PTA at school, and a room mom for my 3rd grader. I hope I didn't bite more than I can chew. Regardless, Pres Monson inspired me to implement service into my life. That if I sit around and mope and THINK about how unhappy I am, I will be. Yeah, no thanks! So here's to a better me. Full of flaws and imperfections, trying(really I am) to be a better person.
8 comments:
Thanks for the Great Reminder Sis!! You have so many Talents and a Wonderful family!! No time to dread but time to Serve, Serve, Serve!! LOVE YOU!!!
Awww thanks sis, I do have a wonderful family lol. I need to catch up to them in being a wonderful person, mother and wife :) Love you too!
Wow I thought I was the only one moping around, I enjoyed that lesson too about Job, so no more complaining from me service for sure!! Congrats on the new calling =)
I wish I could be like Job!! Glad to see your feeling better. Trust your not alone!! You'll be awesome at all your doing. BTW, Can I bring my daughter to your Achievement Day activities? hahaha Have fun girl!!!
Silia, I know right, Job was an awesome example. Thanks friend!
Thanks Leah, if I had half of Job's faith I'd be ok lol. But girl, your daughter is welcome anytime! Seriously!
YAY for Lynn! :) That's a pretty busy schedule, but nothing you can't handle.. Remember 1Ne. 3:7 :) What a lucky bunch of girls, and football team members, students and family! LOL:) I love the account of Job. :) Thanks for this post! LOL @ the defiance of going to Church. I find that those Sundays are the best ones to go, the ones when you feel extremely lazy or angry.. I always end up bawling my eyes out! Satan definitely tries his hardest! Love you sis! I'm so happy 4 u! :)
Hey sis! Thanks for the words of encouragement. That Sunday did have me in tears. It's like the Lord knew what I needed. Love ya!
I think we all have those phases in our lives where we contemplate and think "AM I DOING ALL THAT I CAN?" I think as women we naturally over do ourselves because we tend to look at other women & their accomplishments...so we strive to become better, and work so hard and then sit back and ponder on how unhappy we are! lol..The point is if we strive harder to work on those who stand in need, we will naturally become better in all areas of our lives. :) Thanks for this post, to help us all remember! BTW you are GREAT!!!
Post a Comment