Friday, September 3, 2010

MidValley Ravens

I swore I wasn't going to talk football until the season started and I would just post scores or highlights lol, but after last night, my heart is so full that I have to write about my team.
Our boys, they consist of about 25 players ages 8-10, have been practicing for about a month and a half now. The league we are in, is in its first year. Our players, parents and coaches have been looking forward to the day that they would be getting equipment. Well, last week we got a message that there were problems going on within the organization and that our teams would not be getting equipment. And team moms along with the coaches would have to deliver this message to our teams. WHAT? I couldn't do it. How could I face these little boys that have practiced day in and day out and tell them that they weren't playing football? Or their parents, who paid for their kids to play. I was heartbroken.
So Monday, one of the ladies from the league that had resigned and I went out looking for alternative ways to get equipment to our boys. We unfortunately came home empty handed with heavy hearts. The rental places were all rented out. The manufacturer's warehouse was empty. Football season IS in full swing.
Tuesday, was the same but with emailing and calling some contacts. The coaches and team moms prayed together, hoping that we would somehow be able to secure equipment for these 100 something boys. We had a couple of responses but no commitment. So Wednesday rolled around and I was really down. I kept thinking of my team, and just how sad these boys were going to be. Our first game was 2 weeks away and equipment was out of the question. Some suggested flag football, but come on, these boys signed up for tackle! Their parents payed for tackle! That just wasn't good enough in my eyes. Anyhow, I was trying to get my Activity day planned. I was sitting in the parking lot of JoAnn's and I could not think Activity day. I just kept thinking about my team, and all the boys and families in our league. Then, my phone rings, it was one of my contacts that I had emailed early Monday morning. We discussed our situation and he told me he would speak with his board and let me know. I was so grateful that he was even willing to consider renting to our boys. Anyhow, later on that day, he emailed me back and said that they had unanimously agreed to rent to our boys, and gave us an amazing price for brand new Riddel equipment! I seriously did a little happy dance haha. We are surrounded by amazing people.
Anyhow, I got the email and we were on our way to meet with the President of our league to make one last effort to get our boys equipment. Our 6 and 7 year old teams got equipment but not our 8-13 year old teams. The coaches and team moms were so discouraged. That night we all regrouped and only found comfort in the fact that we had an alternative. This organization was an answer to our prayers!
But there is a twist.. Wednesday night around midnight, the woman that I had gone to Orem with on Monday acquired the leagues equipment. That, in its self was a miracle and a blessing. SHE is amazing.
Yesterday, we fitted each boy with their equipment. As they lined up, they kept asking, "Mrs. Nonu, we get to take these home?? We get to tackle?!!"
Seeing their faces light up, and their humongous smiles made all the stresses of the past weeks seem so small. We still need some extra equipment for the boys so thankfully we still have our generous organization to rent those from so that EVERY boy gets to play. I am so grateful that I volunteered to be a team mom, just this past month I have gained so many testimony and life building experiences. I have also met so many wonderful people in the process.

GO RAVENS!!!

2 comments:

Tino Faamausili said...

I'm crying..that is such an amazing experience! :) I cheer my heart out for the little leaguers out here, and only wish I could be there to cheer on your boys. That's so awesome.. and you go Lynn!! :) We hope that the boys have a great game & season and look forward to hearing the highlights!! Love you guys!! :)

NONU6 said...

Awww, thanks sis! They are looking forward to their first game. And I'm sure by our 3 or 4th game everyone will be sick of hearing about football lol! <3 ya!