Thursday, August 26, 2010

Love/Hate Material Girl Quilts

Ok, I am not usually one to bring up the race issue. I have dealt with it all my life and quite frankly, I don't really pay it any mind. BUT, I feel this is something I have to get off my chest. And maybe you ladies can give me some alternatives or your point of view on this subject.
First off, I [LOVE] this store! I love the fabrics they carry and basically everything about it. However, the employees? Every time I go into this store to purchase fabric, it is the same. I walk in with a smile, because I'm in my element. I'm like a kid in a candy store. It has been a couple of months since I have been here but yesterday reminded me quickly why I [HATE] shopping here. It's a small store so 5 mins into my shopping experience I passed 3 employees. No one makes eye contact with me. No hello. No how can I help you. No is there something you are looking for. I wander around and look at all the fabric and then I hear the little bell ring. The lady with the short blond hair(that I passed on my way in) that was putting fabric away greets the woman that walked through the door. I brush it off. Maybe they don't want to bombard me. Ok, so I make my way to the notions. There a young lady w/ long blond hair there, I ask her, "do you know where I can find zippers?" she points them out and then proceeds to help me cut my yardage. We briefly discuss zipper trends and then I'm on my way again, searching the fabric. She was the ONLY one that spoke to me.
Anyhow, I'm done picking out some fat quarters and I have my zippers in hand. I stand in front of the register for almost 20 mins. I look around, I see 3 ladies that work there besides the girl that helped me in notions. I laugh to myself. THIS is ridiculous!! So I scan the store, trying to make eye contact w/ one of them to help me. I mean, it's obvious right... I'm standing in front of the check out counter. Like, right in front of it!
So finally the girl at the notions table sees me and tells the cashier, who was just wandering around, that I was ready for check out. The cashier, a brunette, walks up to the counter, takes my zipper and fat quarters, doesn't say a word. She doesn't even look at me. Rings me up. Takes my debit card and asks the computer screen, "debit or credit?"
Right at that very moment, I just wanted to ask her to cancel my order and walk out of there. Why? This happens EVERY time I shop here.
I was so irritated by the time she was done ringing me up that I grabbed my bag and walked out as fast as I could so I wouldn't give her a piece of my mind.
Come on now, "we" quilt too.
So I have decided, rather than put myself through that every time I go in there, I'm just going to start ordering online. I'm sure their business will not suffer because I no longer shop there, and that is not the point of shopping online, rather it is for my own happiness.

Have you ever shopped here?

Do you feel that I am pushing the race issue here?

8 comments:

LEVATAU'S said...

I haven't been there in a while and I do have to say that for being such a small store you would think they'd have EXCELLENT customer service, but THEY DON'T!! They don't deserve your business if they act that way!!

NONU6 said...

I think they see themselves as a "high end" fabric store, and the employees attitudes reflect it. Ugh, I seriously wanted to put my stuff back, but I was too in love w/ them lol. Thanks sis :)

LEVATAU'S said...

lol@"too in love" with your fabric! I do admit they have cute fabrics, but just because it's a "high end" fabric store doesn't mean they have to be ignorant. If they just wanted to sell to those whom they select to sell to then don't have a public store! They are buggin' me right now..lol

NONU6 said...

That's what I'm saying. They should have a fabric club. That way they can decided who they will sell to and who they won't. lol. Yeah, I'm just going to buy from the designers site from here on out. Problem solved, for me at least lol.

SillyVinylDesign said...

Boo to them!!! I seriously have been that kind of shopper, but I have come to realize that I have to say something and usually do give them a piece of my mind and then ask to speak to the manager!! annoying!!! I feel you girl!! next time u should give them a piece of your mind =)and say it with a smile lol

T*Family said...

Thats just soo wrong of them. I'm like you, I hate to pull the race card. But it clearly seems to be their issue here.. Hope you don't have to feel that way again. Its a sucky feeling. Been there too!!!

NONU6 said...

Silia, LOL @ do it with a smile. Thanks for the advice, I think next time, if there is a next time, I will be vocal! Lol.

Thanks Leah! It definitely is a sucky feeling.

fantastic said...

i haven't been there (obviously..hehe), but this kind of customer service is vile. if i were you, i'd write a letter to the manager or owner (since it's a small store). you don't deserve to be serviced that way--t's repulsive.