"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was on the agenda. I love CS Lewis. His works and especially The Chronicles of Narnia. I remember reading it when I was younger, only because it was assigned. And I think the most I got out of it was that it was about siblings, a wardrobe and a fantasy land.
However, many..... MANY moons later, sitting in a theater with my six children and husband, it touched my heart and The Dawn Treader spoke to me.
There was so much symbolism and the end had me in tears. As we exited the movies, I hesitated to opening up a discussion with the kids because 1) they probably would think I was boring and would ignore me and 2) they probably would have no idea what I was saying and think I'm speaking gibberish.
So I took the safe route and asked an obvious question.
"Sooooo, what did Aslan say in the end to Lucy?" As if I didn't already know. Quickly I heard them all answer, that Aslan brought them there for a short time so that they would know him. And Lucy asks if he will visit them in her world. Asland responded saying he would, but that they would need to learn to know him by another name in their own world.
I asked them if this symbolism reminded them of anything. They all said, Heavenly Father! And the discussion opened up from there. They understood the symbolism of the temptations, and conquering the darkness from within. Even letting our fears conquer us.
Wow, at their age, I didn't even grasp these concepts. I said a quiet pray to my Heavenly Father thanking him for sending me such sweet spirits that help remind me of Him and teach me, daily.
The movie was beautifully put together. The end, I can't help but think that was CS Lewis' vision of when we left the pre-mortal life. Where we were Kings and Queens. We fought battles. We were Valiant. And of a nobel birthright. Saying goodbye to our Heavenly Father, asking if he will visit us in the world we will be going to. And he says, "I brought you here for a short time so that you would know me. I will be in your world but you would have to learn to know me by another name."
And as we left, he bid us farewell and told us that only those that fought well and had nobel hearts could come into "Aslan's Country" only after being tested. He promised that we would see Him again.
A beautiful story line for a fairy tale, but in all actuality, its a beautiful story line for a beautiful life.
The Chronicles of Narnia, the books, the movies, books on cd, whatever your cup of tea, I highly recommend it.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
No comments:
Post a Comment