Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pity Party and Pumpkin Pie

What do those two things have in common? Well, just the other day as I was in the midst of planning a pity party for myself. Oh, pity me, I have to work. I have to clean my house, I have to clean my closet. I HAVE to lose weight. I hate getting up 3 hours before I even have to leave for work. I hate my hair! I can't stand my skin, especially when the weather changes. My shoes hurt my feet, cuz I'm gaining weight and I'm too heavy for the height of the heel (tee hee) I don't like the sweaters I have. My nails are flat and thin. OH the list went on and on, and while I was mumbling and plotting out how pitiful I was going to act and miserable I was going to feel, I was going through the motions of putting together my FHE lesson. I flipped to a story about a mother and her son making pumpkin pies to give others, to show how thankful they are for what they do for them. I thought, hmm, I like pumpkin pie, I wish someone would bring me a freshly baked pumpkin pie lol!! REALLY self!! You read a story about someone GIVING pumpkin pies, to show GRATITUDE, and all you could think about is how someone should bring YOU one? As I read on, I read a message by Steven E Snow. The opening quote: Isn't it ironic that we will focus our hopes and prayers on the things we do not have, but forget to give thanks for the countless blessings we already have?
Next thing that pops up on my screen. An insurance claim for a deceased member of someones family, no one I know. Now my pity party suddenly turned into an emotionally imbalanced me crying at my desk because I am so ungrateful for all the Lord has blessed me with party. Realizing that I should be grateful that I have hair, finger nails, a job, that I am able to wake up in the morning, that I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, shoes on my feet, and it's my fault that they hurt cuz I should be serious about needing to lose weight and that's why my feet hurt. So on my way home, I bought a pumpkin pie, decided that my pity party was no party at all but only for a party of one. And that I would teach my lesson during FHE and enjoy some pumpkin pie with the ones I love.



That's my gratitude story for the month of November... and I'm stickin' to it.

2 comments:

T*Family said...

Trust you aren't the only one who have these days. I'm sure it turned out to be a wonderful day!

SillyVinylDesign said...

What a great post!! I love November because I am reminded of the many things I should be thankful for =) great post!!!