Monday, November 29, 2010

Purcell/Sagapolutele Thanksgiving







This years Thanksgiving was a memorable one. Its been over 5 years since I lost my grandfather, Siu S. Sagapolutele. I would have to say that he was definitely what held our Sagapolutele clan together. This year, for some reason, I missed him more, almost as much as the year he passed. The memory of his loving heart. Warm smile. Sound advice. Genuine concern. Laughter. His presence.
This year has been a rocky road for the extended family with "drama". I couldn't help but think of him, and think of how sad he'd be. One of the things he always talked to us about was, Alofa i lou agia/Love your family. Growing up, I heard stories about how he worked hard as a farmer to support his family. He also took on the responsibility of raising my aunts children at a very young age, after she passed. Every time he spoke of his family, he would get emotional. In his last days, he would tell us that his one wish was to see his brother again. They had been separated for over 20 years when my grandparents moved to the states. With the matriarch of our family getting older, she has no longer taken on the role of the silent partner and has verbally expressed the same thoughts. I'm so happy that we were able to come back together as a family.
We started our day out having Thanksgiving lunch with the in-laws. It was a nice get together. After the in-laws we headed to Lehi for our family Thanksgiving dinner. We got there a little late. No good! Soon after we sat as a family and said what we were grateful for. At that moment, I knew that my grandfather was there in spirit with us.
After we headed to my parents ward house to play some volleyball and basketball. We ended the night with dessert and had one of the cousins open his mission call. He was called to serve in the Apia, Samoa mission. We are so happy and excited for him. It's such a joy to have him return "home" to Samoa and serve our people.

1 comment:

IONGI FAMILY said...

looks like u had a great thanksgiving!!! Happy Holidays girl!!! catching up on all my blogs lol