Friday, December 10, 2010

Seeing Eye To Eye...

One of the on going things that the mister and I have not seen eye to eye on is MUSIC. If you know my D, you know he loves music. He was a DJ :) and has quite the collection. And thanks to Itunes and his "underground" music, that collection is ever growing. Anyhow, the music he plays are edited so it sounds like a scratched CD teehee. Well, on to my story. A couple of days ago, my 2nd youngest stayed home from school, he walks into my room holding his PSP singing a Jay Z song.. word for WORD. Bad words and all! I quickly grabbed the PSP and asked him, "who downloaded this song?!" I sat him down and talked to him about music and that this song was not appropriate. He said, "well Dad listens to Jay Z all the time." UGH! So how do you respond to that? I used an easy cop out and told him that Jesus wants him to listen to good music and that the song he was singing was not good.
Later that evening when the mister got off, I brought up the events from earlier in the day. His response. "I know, but I didn't know they had bad words in them. I thought they were edited. We'll delete them."
I got upset and went on about appropriate music for children and my usual spill. He is SO lenient when it comes to movies and music. He says I'm too over protective and I don't think that I am. I'm not saying that I think we should listen to church music 24/7. But I think there is music that you can enjoy with your children that are age appropriate. Then he hears his daughter singing the lyrics to a song that he immediately turned off and told her to be quiet. That, proved my point.

What music do you feel is appropriate for children/families?

Is there such a thing as being over protective when it comes to music?

2 comments:

T*Family said...

We go thru that too. And I've started to listen to 100.3 when the kids are around and boy is it boring. Hahaha.

NONU6 said...

lol @ boring. At least I'm not the only one that listens to 100.3 haha.